Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Room by Emma Donoghue - Book Review


I heard from my coworker that Room was a book she couldn't put down, so when my sister got a copy, I couldn't wait to get my hands on it!

Room is told through the perspective of five-year-old Jack, and to him, Room is the entire world. He was born there and he lives with his Ma, eats, plays and learns there and sleeps in the wardrobe at night, in case Old Nick shows up. To Jack's Ma, Room is a small shed where Old Nick has kept her for seven years after kidnapping her, ever since she was nineteen. She has created a life for her son but knows they can't go on like this forever. She has to figure out a way to escape her prison.

I couldn't put the book down once I started. Emma Donoghue does an excellent job of drawing you into Jack's world, seeing things through his eyes, a child born and raised in captivity who doesn't know anything about the outside world. You feel the danger that Jack's Ma feels and the urgency of which she wants to escape. I highly recommend this book (try not to read it during a weeknight, you won't be able to put it down!) and I'm looking forward to reading more of Donoghue's books.

No comments:

 
Google